Followers

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

New service oppportunities

I was called late last Friday night to meet with a member of the bishopric again so I asked the executive secretary if I was in trouble and he said, "No, its a good thing. Be happy and see ya Sunday." Be happy and see ya Sunday I thought, is he crazy?

Oh well, so all day Saturday I panicked about what was happening because I was just asked to teach primary and I was just getting in the groove of things and I had only taught a lesson maybe 3 times because of the Holidays, the lack of kids the primary program and other fun things going on so that I didn't have to prepare a lesson. What the heck? What were they going to do release me, I technically hadn't done anything with the class yet.

Well, yes. Up and dressed bright and early Sunday morning I met with the counselor and they asked if they could move me from teaching primary to playing the piano because the sister who does a great job now can't do it anymore because of her 4 month old baby and how much time he is taking up. Seriously? For all of us teachers, we hold him while she plays and her hubby takes him the rest of the time and for real, she does a fantastic job and so does the chorister. They do GREAT and now there is little ole me.

I'm in primary still which I absolutely love but rather, playing the piano instead of teaching a lesson. I read and prepared for all of the lessons and learned a ton from the lessons, the kids in the class and from the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Love it!

I finally got the Ensign and 2 copies came of the conference edition, yahoo so one can stay at work and the other can stay at home. When I'm done with Pres Monson book, I'll start the Ensign.

I've been reading To The Rescue the autobiography of Thomas S Monson only while I am on the train going to work and only going home from work. I leave it in the car in the garage and start over the next day. I'm a little more than half way through and cry every time I open it because I have so much to learn and so much to do.

Another activity that I am soooooo excited about is finding the Wicke line and family from the Kalaupapa Leprosy Colony in Hawaii. I have found a young man that lived there and was born in Hawaii and possibly his parents who were also born in Hawaii. I'm going to make it a habit to go to the Mesa Family History Center every Friday afternoon to do a little more work on it to see what else I can find. I have found that he was 27 and that his parents were born in Hawaii and the missionaries at the center and I think that his grandparents were born in Germany (which I already know that the Wickes are German and stubborn) named Fred and Charlotte. This can be traced back already to 1893 for the boy in Hawaii on the colony and as far back as the 13th census with the grandparents. I'll find out more information this Friday when I go. I'm so excited and I'm going to see what I can do to have the work done for the men and I'll take Charlotte through the temple. I feel so connected to them and can't wait to have it done. I want to find the connecting link to all of the Wickes that live back east and in the south. That would be awesome. I have found a few Wicke websites that connect families together and its awesome to be a part of it. Given time, I'll do it.

For the rest of this 2010 year I have a busy schedule. I have a conference that I'll be attending the 18-21 Nov, Thanksgiving that I'll be doing in CO with the Finster family. I'm driving and then school starts on the 30th for the MAED/AET program which I am totally excited about and then I'm driving to WA/OR for Christmas.

With all of the changes, Kale is not being left out. He'll be joining me in all of the adventures.

I need to get back to work.

Have a great week.

Karen

No comments: